Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I May Have Jinxed Myself

For the last couple of months, I have been sorting through the kids' clothes - baby clothes, 2Ts, 3Ts, Abby's 4 and 5Ts. I had ten plastic bins full of them. I am now down to four. Even Peter Walsh lets people keep a few things for sentimental value, so I have one bin for Abby, one for Noah, and two more to give to my sister-in-law.

But today....

I gave away our crib.

Yup, the crib.

I've been thinking about it for awhile now. Do I sell it? Do I save it for my sister (who lives across the country and it would probably cost more to get it to her than it would be to buy a new one)? Do I give it away? Do I just keep it because I am a sentimental sap of a mom?

Then I was talking to my neighbor across the street, and she mentioned that they needed to get a crib for their 7-month-old great granddaughter who is with them most of the time. Her granddaughter (baby's mom) had given away all of her baby stuff a few years back...and then SURPRISE!

A few other gals I know did that exact same thing - thinking they were done, got rid of everything, and then, lo and behold, they got "prego" and had to buy all new stuff within a couple of years.

I joked with my neighbor that I hoped giving them the crib wasn't jinxing me too. 

Don't get me wrong. I loved when the kids were babies. Going through all of their tiny clothes, I couldn't help but get a little weepy. And like I said, I couldn't part with two bins full of  favorite outfits and blankets (and a few toys too).

To be honest, for the longest time, I have felt perfectly content with having my girl and my boy...and now a 70lb lab pup with separation anxiety. We have definitely entered those elementary years with Noah turning five in a couple of days and Abby going into second grade. And as much as I miss those baby days sometimes (except for the sleep training part - I was so bad at that), this bigger kiddo phase is a whole lot of fun too (except for the getting them to clean their room part - haven't figured that one out yet)...and they still love to snuggle.

I may be able to give up the crib, but this mama wouldn't know what to do without those snuggles.

10 comments:

Down in the Sun said...

Reading this post I thought you were going to announce you were prego. And I thought...Hey, I just talked to her today why would she put it on her blog and not tell me! Here is to hoping that you are not jinxing yourself but....if you are I will have to know before the blog world!

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

What???? hahahaha...didn't mean to give that impression in those first few lines. Quite the opposite, my friend. :)

Kat said...

I thought for sure you were gonna tell us that you are pregnant! Hehe!
I don't know what we will do with our crib either. I would love to give it to someone that we know. Not only have all of my kids used it, but we got it from my hubby's sister whose kids all used it too, so it has been in the family for a while. It will be SUPER hard to part with. :(

Jenny Ramsey said...

i really, really, REALLY hope that you jinxed yourself! ;)

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

I bet you do, Jenny! hahaha :)

amanda said...

long live the snuggles!!

ps - eating cookie pie as i type! yum!!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

My crib is in the basement and I am beginning to be ok with letting it go... :|

Melissa (Wallick) Larson said...

I would love it if you jinxed yourself. I always think those types of surprises make for good stories and I love reading your stories!!! Love you!!!

raising4boys said...

Sounds like the crib will go to a good home. And a good time to give it away since you are moving :)

raising4boys said...

P.S. This was a sweet post :) And I am loving my kids ages right now too. So nice not having a baby hanging on you while you do everything!