Thursday, February 5, 2009

Like Mother, Like Daughter

A little Groundhog's Day drama for you...

Abby was so excited to watch the weather on February 2nd. Her teacher had been talking about Groundhog's Day at school the day before, they made a paper bag puppet, etc... so I told her that we'd be able to see the groundhog on TV the next day.
Well, I missed the morning news...

"Mama, when can we see if the groundhog sees his shadow?" was repeated about 15 times during the course of three hours.

"I'm sorry, babe. We'll have to wait until lunchtime. The weather will be on again at noon."

After MUCH anticipation, noon finally arrives!

Abby's eyes are glued to the TV as Punxsutawney Phil makes his annual squirming, flash-blinding appearance.(Poor groundhog.)

We hear the announcer say the groundhog has seen his shadow. Then the voice booms, "SIX MORE WEEKS OF WINTER!"

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" Abby wails. She's sobbing!

A little stunned by her extreme reaction, I'm trying not to laugh, although I feel like crying too. I am so not a winter person, especially if it's just cold with NO SNOW! (What's the fun in that?)
The kiddos trying to catch one of maybe fifteen snowflakes falling from the sky.


This is seriously about all we get around here.

She runs out of the room, still wailing, "Now there's six more DAYS of winter!"

Now I'm laughing. Six more DAYS??? Don't I wish!!!
PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek

12 comments:

Carol said...

We're having our worst snowfall for 18 years we have serious inches. Now I wish I hadn't complained all those years when we got a mere sprinkling of snow.

Come on Spring!!! We're waiting for you.

amanda said...

uhm you and i both wish! six days - how wonderful would that be!!

poor abby :(

Heather said...

Poor baby! Just don't tell her it's really 42 more days - then she'll really cry!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Oh no say it ain't so. I must admit, your post title pretty much SAID IT ALL! :)

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

That is Funny! :) We get a bit more snow but often it is just down right COLD and nothing to show for it..... oh I feel ya!

Chris said...

That was AWESOME!

I hope those next six days aren't too brutal for you.

amanda said...

Oh I hear you. I am soooo NOT a winter person. That is so cute.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

I love that puppet!

We're having a quick warming session, but it's supposed to snow by Thursday. :(

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Oh, no! What disappointment!

Dad Zen said...

LOL. Your post is soooo funny! she is just too smart for her own good. We miss you guys already. Come home soon.

Also, i just did a new post of my blog. I will be updating it more. Check it out. I blogged about the Last Lecture.

Love you guys!

Shannon said...

How funny! I love how kids have such a dramatic way of looking at things. As long as neither one of my girls EVER acts like "Tatiana" from American Idol, then I will be happy! Have you been watching? Well, hopefully you didnt miss her because if they gave awards based on AI alone- she would win the Oscar! Life doesn't slow down, I am always busy but that is MOTHERHOOD! Love and hugs and I will tell Makenzie your message.

Laural Out Loud said...

That is too cute! I find myself believing the whole shadow thing, too, usually to my dissapointment, lol. Hopefully winter won't be around for that much longer.