Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Imagine if...

 Imagine what would happen...if every morning [we] got on our knees and asked our Father who He needed us to reach out to that day. And then imagine if we did it! - Sheri Dew
Believe me, I have been asking this past week. 
After a very scary Wednesday, huddled in the closet with the kids, we were extremely fortunate that our home was untouched by the recent tornadoes that whipped through Alabama. But just five miles up the road? Homes have been leveled. It is completely surreal to see the devastation along the road side as you are driving to church or to the store.
It's only been within the last couple of days that the power has been restored to most areas in our county which is part of the reason I haven't posted sooner. I've also just not quite known what to write. It's all been a lot to digest. 
People are working around the clock to help those who have suffered such great loss. Shelters have been set up, donations are being collected, free hot meals are being served. Neighbors are cutting trees off of homes and climbing on roofs to cover the gaping holes with tarps. Some neighborhoods have been wiped out completely, and people are helping to dig through the rubble in hopes of recovering belongings. It's unreal.
I was beyond relieved to see so many faces at church on Sunday. Phone service has been spotty so it was hard to get through and check on people. Today at dance, I was so happy to see my two-year-olds and my assistant. (A neighborhood just a half mile from her home was destroyed.) After everything that has happened, it was like a breath of fresh air to jump, clap, and giggle with those little girls. 
People are resilient, and I know that amazing stories of triumph and service will emerge from this tragedy. Still, I cannot imagine what the victims are going through right now..so if I may, I am asking for extra prayers for my friends and neighbors in Alabama during this time. They are very much needed and appreciated. 
Thank you SO much!

8 comments:

Jen said...

Girl, I've been thinking about y'all and very glad to hear that you and your family are OK. I will keep those touched by the tragedy in my prayers.

Kat said...

I am so relieved to hear you are okay and that those you know are okay too. I can't imagine the devestation. I am keeping everyone in my prayers!

Mom2Miles said...

Oh my gosh, Kelli. Just 5 miles away? How scary. I will certainly keep your friends & neighbors in my prayers.

Jenny Ramsey said...

lots of prayers are being said. so thankful that you are okay!

Jessie Oliveros said...

I'm glad that you're okay! What a week. I'll keep them in my prayers.

Mamarazzi said...

soooo glad your family is all safe!

amanda said...

so so so happy you and yours are safe!

prayers are on the way friend...

Laural Out Loud said...

I can't even imagine what it must have been like, felt like, to be huddled together like that. So glad you made it out okay. So so glad.