Sunday, November 7, 2010

It's easy to forget...

A couple of weekends ago, I went to an AMAZING Time Out for Women event presented by Deseret Book. Boy, was I in need of a "time out" to recharge my battery. Between the kid who got a bloody nose during dance class the week before (that was a first!), running here and there and everywhere, my battery dying at Sonic, never-ending housework, and keeping up with school stuff, I was feeling kind of deflated and ready to be pumped up!

This year the tour centered on the infinite power of HOPE. The messages from the speakers and musicians - Hilary Weeks, Michael McLean, Amanda Dickson, Emily Freeman, Merrilee Boyack, Mariama Kallon (to name a few) - were completely inspirational. I laughed. I cried. I sang (- gotta love audience participation). And I SLEPT uninterrupted in a nice Marriott hotel room that was completely free! YAY for a friend with reward points! As an extra bonus, we got to bring donations and help put together HOPE kits (full of hygiene items & a written message of hope) for a local women's shelter during the lunch break. The goal for the event was 120 kits, but with all of the donations and women on the "assembly line", over 300 kits were made! Awesome.

Everytime I go to one of these events (this is my fourth), I take TONS of notes. I have a little Time Out journal that was one of the giveaways a few years ago - along with those cute tote bags. It's all about the free tote bag, ya know. :) I really want to remember the spiritual messages shared and "a-ha moments" that I have during the talks and performances. For me though, it's the music that always seems to touch me the most. And this time around, Hilary Weeks performed this song - one that I've listened to it on CD several times before, but to see it performed only five rows away, at this time in my life, was a whole different experience.

All the Good
by Hilary Weeks


The minutes tick by, lost in the moonlight

As the day echoes through her mind
She wasn't enough
She wonders if she ever will be
Mistakes are all she sees in the shadows of the night
But she forgets when the guilt fades from memory
She forgets about...

The good things she's done
The kind words she's said
The tiny victories that no one sees
And the changes she's made
And when the count comes in
As she's adding up the day
In the midst of the "coulds" and "shoulds"
Help her remember all the good

I've given my all
I've run until I'm weary
And I reach up every time I fall
I know who I am
I feel it deep within me
But the best of me hides
While my weaknesses all shine
And I forget until He patiently reminds me
I forget about...

The good things I've done
The kind words I said
The tiny victories that no one sees
And the changes I've made
And when the count comes in
As I'm adding up the day
In the midst of the "coulds" and "shoulds"
Help me remember

He looks on the heart
Fills in the missing pieces
And we can be sure
That He knows and won't forget

The good things we've done
The kind words we've said
The tiny victories He surely sees
And the changes we've made
As the day comes to a close
And we've done all we could
Look through the mirror of His love
And He will show us
All the good

How grateful I am for the gift of music to gently remind us of how much our Father and our Savior love us and of all the good (and potential) that They see in us.

It was just what I needed to hear.

2 comments:

Jenny Ramsey said...

i wish i could have gone but i am so glad you got a recharge! :)

amanda said...

i need a mommy timeout...maybe if i just play that song a couple times over, that will help!