Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Perspective...

I found out today that a friend of mine from a former life - Dixie College days, worked together at Taco Time, got married a week apart from one another - passed away. I literally felt my heart drop into my stomach as the tears started to flow.

We had lost touch over the years, but we had reconnected on facebook about a year and a half ago. It was neat to catch up, see pictures of her five beautiful children, watch the progress on the building of their new house, etc...

It seems surreal. I keep thinking of her children. The youngest one is five - just a little bit older than Noah. It's heartbreaking. And although her family has such great faith and knows they will see her again one day, I can't even imagine how much they miss her. And how much she must miss them.

I held my kids tighter today. I asked for extra kisses and hugs. I didn't get bent out of shape about the huge mess they made in the living room (again). We read a second bedtime story. I laid with Abby for an extra long time tonight because she couldn't fall asleep and sang her songs and tickled her arm. After they were in bed, instead of grumbling about doing another load of laundry, I thought about how grateful I am to have their little clothes to wash. How grateful I am to be their mom. How each day I have with them is a gift.

And for that I am truly thankful.

5 comments:

Laural Out Loud said...

I'm so sorry! I've had two friends pass away, one with a family, so I try to keep it in the back of my head to enjoy every moment, and to make sure my kids know that I love them.

Mindy Jo said...

Kelli, I'm sorry to hear that. But it does make you appreciate life more and I am grateful you could take some time with abby and noah, you are a great mom, i love you!

Jenny Ramsey said...

i'm so sorry to hear about your friend kelli! thank you for sharing your experience. it does help to keep things in the proper perspective and appreciate all the blessings we have.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

It is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for them all. Perspective can really suck when it comes in forms like this.

amanda said...

i am so sorry friend. i totally understand...

xoxo