Thursday, August 21, 2008

Sincerely 'Fro Me to You - School Talent Show


This week's "Fro" is dedicated to Cindy, my "Love Ya Like A Sister" BFF from elementary school. (She's fairly new to blogging so go on over and leave her some comment love! I didn't tell her I was posting this...SURPRISE!!!)

Ahh, the good ol' days. Skating parties, sleepovers, supervised trips to the mall, and of course, school talent shows...

This picture was taken in 5th grade after our Broadway-bound performance of Barbra Streisand's "Second-Hand Rose". That's me on the right with the GIGANTIC glasses and Cindy, on the left, with the floppy black hat. The girl kneeling down in front of the paper mache unicorn (it wasn't in our act) was a friend & classmate of ours, Amanda. All dressed up with our matching hats & pearls...we had to look the part!

As the lyrics say...(yes, I still remember them)

I’m wearing second hand hats
Second hand clothes
That’s why they call me
Second hand Rose...
Second hand curls
I'm wearing second hand pearls
I never get a single thing that's new...


(Although, I think the talent show was in the spring, and this was my Easter dress my grandma bought for me at Dillards. A 5th grade girl these days wouldn't be caught dead in a cutesy dress like that. No Limited Too, Aeropostle, or American Eagle stores back then, girls.)

Of course, no outfit would be complete without this popular 1980's accessory I'm sporting on my wrist...

Yes, my friends...I'm wearing a SWATCH watch.

Was I cool or what?

10 comments:

Heather said...

I too, had a swatch. Mine was clear. I was SO COOL.

amanda said...

You are so way cool. I love the glasses. You explain the details so well I almost felt like I was there. You go girl!!

Kristen said...

What a great picture! I love it! And I miss Swatches...I've heard they are making a comeback like everything else! Thanks for the blast from the past!

littletoesandcheerios said...

I just reunited with my bf from high school. We had not seen each other in about 15 years!!
I too had a swatch watch...and converse high tops in mint green! My friend and I would wear one of each others. I would have one pink and one green shoe on!! Good times, right?!

amanda said...

i am pretty sure you are the bravest blogger i know!!

seriously friend those pictures of me are tucked away safe and sound in a box whose location is only known to me!!

Phone Photo Project by Kim said...

Oh my! Atleast you were dressed for a play!! hahhha Of course i had and still have ONE of my swatch watches. I even had that one that hung on the wall!!!!

Jenny Ramsey said...

1980's?? geesh you must be like 30 or something!

Wendi said...

Love the story and the photos.
There may be a lot of photos on my blog, but there will not be photos of me in the 5th grade.
Not. going. to. happen.
Oh my goodness....the swatch watch...how could we forget those?

Unknown said...

I love you! I can't believe you have that picture! We were such a couple of dorks! What a great talent show...I love you, Kelli...you are the greatest friend of all stinkin time!

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

Dorks? I would have to beg to differ...I was wearing a SWATCH for heaven's sakes!