Wednesday, September 23, 2009

WFMW - It'll make ya wanna ZOUT!

I must admit I have a great appreciation for washing machines. We were in a Cracker Barrel restaurant recently where my husband noticed a metal washboard displayed on the wall next to our table. He asked Abby if she knew what it was and then told her that is what people used to use to wash their clothes instead of washing machines.

"They did?" she replied, looking a little perplexed.

On our trip this summer to see my 92 year old grandmother, she told me that her mother used to do laundry for neighbors to earn extra income for the family. She would walk down the long dirt roads carrying baskets full of dirty clothes back to their home where she'd scrub out the stains on a washboard. Then she'd light a fire under a huge pot, stir the water around with a big wooden stick as the homemade soap dissolved, and then proceed to wash each piece of clothing one at a time, continuously stirring the steaming, soapy water.

She was paid a nickel a load.

Can you even imagine?

Thank goodness for washing machines. Whoever invented that thing was a genius.

Still, I've had my fair share of laundry battles. Especially since having kids. But I have to tell ya, in the last couple of months since discovering this stain remover (only because it was on sale),

those battles are pretty much over. Seriously. This stuff seems to get everything out, even watermelon stains. Those are the worst! My poor kids. I hardly ever let them eat watermelon in the past just because I hated dealing with the stain, but not anymore!

Now I am starting to sound like an infomercial.

Really though, I just wanted to share this helpful tip because laundry is one of those necessary evils that we all have to deal with...

I'm just grateful I'm armed with a washing machine and a bottle of stain remover instead of a cold, metal washboard.

*Click on over to WFMW for other helpful tips! (She shares a great idea to help keep track of socks that I need to try. I hate missing socks!)

2 comments:

amy@flexibledreams said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I've never heard of Zout before but I'm definitely looking for it the next time I'm at the store!

Veggiemomof2 said...

I just bought this cuz I had a "try me free" rebate, so I cannot wait to dig into it!