Friday, February 25, 2011

Friday Confessional: Out of My Element

I Confess:

The last time I used a sewing machine was in the 7th grade.

A blue and white checkered pillow in Home Ec.

I learned how to sew on a button too - a piece of knowledge that has been completely swept from my memory.

That being said, you can imagine my complete and utter confusion as I attempted to pick out an EASY pattern and material with my 6 year old daughter who has been begging to learn how to sew. (Thank you, Barbie Fashion Fairytale.)

I consulted with friends who have skills in this area. I was assured that "you'll be fine," "If I can do it, you can do it," trying to encourage me to venture into this uncharted territory.

So I did...with the assistance of a friend who spent THREE hours (with unlimited kiddo interruptions) trying to teach me (and Abby) how to sew a supposedly SIMPLE jumper-style dress. (I tell ya, she has the patience of a saint. A big batch of chocolate chip cookies is coming her way.)

And voila! A yard and an 1/8 of cute ladybug fabric (that Abby picked out) turned into a DRESS!

Yes, the dress is two sizes too wide and about four inches too short, but if I can figure out how to take it in a little, add a long ruffle, and put in a zipper, Abby just might be able to wear it in public.




Photobucket

7 comments:

Emmy said...

I too am a non-sewer. In junior high I even made a wind sock and duffel bag, totally rocked them in fact.. but I swear anything I might have learned just left.
And then my MIL is an amazing amazing seamstress, so I just wait and have her do it for me :)

VandyJ said...

I know the basics--my mom is a champion sewer. Me, not so much. If I had to I could maybe mend something, but mostly I get my mom to do what ever is needed. It's better that way and less frustrating for all involved.

Anonymous said...

I used to work as a costume seamstress for the drama department at my college. A friend got me the job and the woman who ran the shop (bless her) was an incredible woman who had more patience than anyone I've known.

I wish I used the opportunity to learn more from her. It'd be nice to be able to sew some cutsie things together once in a while.

Good for you for learning something new!

Have a good weekend. :)

jennykate77 said...

I can NOT sew. So, you're like a million steps ahead of me! I tried once and failed miserably and I've never sat at a sewing machine since.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Mamarazzi said...

meh, even if she wears it as a long tunic over jeans or as a swim suit cover it really won't matter...after all you guys made it together!

Unknown said...

I think I remember you making me a "W" shaped pillow when we were younger! It turned out pretty well :)

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I tried a machine once. Total fail. Elastic on the wrong side..the works.

I bet adding a little ruffle will be just what it needs.