Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Operation Contribute - GOING BIG!

When I picked "CONTRIBUTE" as my word for 2011, I was thinking small, kid-friendly things. Taking cookies to firefighters, picking up trash at a park, doing a lemonade stand for pediatric cancer patients, making a no-sew blanket for Project Linus - things like that. Simple, yet significant and worthwhile.

In our family prayers, we've also been praying for service opportunities. And wouldn't you know it? Pat was contacted by an area representative for the Special Olympics to see if he'd be interested in coaching golf for the participants. How cool is that? He was told that families can volunteer as well so I am looking forward to finding out more about how the kids and I can help out.

Then, last night, as we were watching last week's DVRed Extreme Home Makeover, and we started talking about how cool it would be to help with one of those new home projects - like we always do,  I thought "I should look up the volunteer info and just see...."

It was a little tough to find, but lo and behold - there is a build happening in TWO weeks less than TWO hours away from us! I could NOT believe it. I still can't believe it. Abby was jumping up and down with excitement talking about how she wants to help paint. Sweet girl.

Of course, I explained you have to be 18, etc... but I told her we could at least make signs for the spectator area to show support for the family and donate to the "Extreme Food Drive".  Both kids still want to swing hammers, but I'm sure they will think it is neat to be a part of the crowd.  Since I am over 18 (just barely - ha!), I signed myself up for a 2-8pm shift and Pat is doing the  8pm-2am shift so we can switch off with the kids. I am so excited to get more information on this. I am just glad I looked it up or we would have missed out on this incredible opportunity to help a deserving family.

I am always so moved by the circumstances and generosity of the families chosen and by the efforts of their communities and the Home Makeover team. There really need to be more TV shows like that where people work together do amazing things for one another.

We can't wait to be a part of it.

2 comments:

Jenny Ramsey said...

you are awesome! i know that this will be a wonderful experience!

Kat said...

Good for you! That's awesome! And exciting too.

I often said I would love to volunteer for the Special Olympics. Maybe this year I can do it! :)