Sunday, November 8, 2009

Shine on!

Last night, the kids and I watched Akeelah and the Bee on Disney. Loved it! And the kids did too. While we were watching, Abby got out a piece of paper and asked me to help her spell some animal words (lizard, guinea pig, turtle) so she could start practicing for a spelling bee. She can already spell DOG and CAT by herself. She was a little disappointed to hear that I had never won a BIG spelling bee.  Sorry, kiddo.

I tell ya, I didn't know what two thirds of those words meant, let alone how to spell them, once they got to the National Bee. Those kids are amazing.

There was a great quote in the movie that Akeelah's tutor had her read aloud before they started preparing for the Bee. One that I want to remember and want my kids to remember so I thought I'd share:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. 
Our deepest fear is that we are 
powerful beyond measure. 
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be 
brilliant, gorgeous, 
talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be? 
We were born to make manifest 
the glory of God that is within us. 
And as we let our own light shine, 
we unconsciously 
give other people permission 
to do the same.

- Marianne Williamson

4 comments:

amanda said...

awesome quote friend!

i was flipping today on the tv and saw that it was on...didn't have time to watch, but made a mental note to watch soon!

Mom2Miles said...

No way! I loved that movie, too & I paused & rewound it so I could copy down that quote, too!! It really is a feel-good movie.

Erin said...

Love the quote!

amanda said...

love that. thank you for sharing it.