Thursday, October 29, 2009

Fishful Thinking Thursday - It's all about the treats!


I have a major sweet tooth. Needless to say, my favorite part of Halloween is the candy. And FREE candy at that!  When I was a kid, I couldn't wait to get home and empty my bucket to see how many crunch bars and peanut butter cups I had scored. Every year, a lady down the street would make full size popcorn balls for every kid in the neighborhood. Gooey, crunchy, sweet -n-salty popcorn balls. Just thinking about munching on one is making my mouth water. :)

This year when we get back from taking the kids trick or treating, I think it would be fun to try this Savoring Party activity listed on the Fishful Thinking site with their goodies!  

Set up all the items ( in this case - candy) to be savored on the floor and provide a stack of paper and crayons or markers. Ask each parent and child to pick something from the floor to savor and to write down as many words as they can that describe what they are savoring. Set a timer for 5 minutes (maybe 1-2 min. with younger ones). When the timer rings, switch to a new item to savor (and to EAT!) At the end, hold up one of the objects (their favorite treat) and give each parent and child the opportunity to read their description for that item.

For more activities and articles that foster Emotional Awareness  - the ability to identify and express feeling and to have empathy for what others are feeling  - in our kids, click on over to the site!


Happy Trick-or-Treating!

8 comments:

Mom's Place said...

What a great idea!!!

Heidi said...

I think I just might try this. Great way to build vocabulary skills! I would have to skip out though or choose something like a carrot or broccoli. I can't eat sugar but I could certianly tell how I used to savor those deliciously silky smooth Dove chocolate bars. Ho Hum, sometimes not eating sweets really sucks!
Thanks for stopping by yesterday! And I promise I will get in on the Fishful thinking thing next week!

Cecily R said...

You know I'm all about the whole savoring idea so I LOVE this one!!!

amanda said...

this sounds like a great idea! i am all about savoring :)

AiringMyLaundry said...

Nice idea!

Jenny Ramsey said...

yummmmmm......this is an activity you know jen would enjoy. gavin is super into doing graphs right now, because he's doing them in school...maybe he can make a graph of what each person in the family eats...ie. mostly sweet, some salty, etc.

Anonymous said...

Hi - I enjoyed reading this! I used to be a Fishful mom and enjoyed it during the spring. Have fun!

Paulo said...

A settled rate advance is an advance wherein the month to month reimbursement portions are equivalent for the span of the advance time frame that you have concurred with the bank. This implies a borrower pays similar sum month to month for the concurred time to the bank. Check Cashing San-diego